Lake Lucerne
     One of several lakes that are fed from nearby contributory springs, Lake Lucerne was encountered early on by the first settlers to the area.  There is mention in one case of a visit during 1886.  Lake Lucerne has realized several name changes which include Crystal Lake, Silver Lake, Sanitarium Lake, Spring Lake, and Lake Lucerne.  
     This page and all inclusions were developed without indepth research --- however with scrutiny of various computer files existing in my Data Bank.  These files mostly exist as Jpegs and therefore have been extracted, cropped, and enhanced when neccessary for best visual presentation.
     Scroll down to the end of this page to read the "Forgotten Bridge of Lucerne" as written by Ken Bates.

The above page is an extraction from a 1950 book written by Nellie A. Mills
This page is posted first because of the dates mentioned in its content.


The above Poem was submitted by Ken Bates

Daily Times-Echo -- April 1905
(Lake Lucerne was originally established as a recreation program supplement for the Crescent Hotel.)
To the golf enthusiast these links (at Lake Lucerne) will be new fields to conquer.  The topography of the country is so rugged that some were fearful that suitable ground could not be obtained. but the coming of an expert, and his assurance that difficult 'putts'Awhich required skillful playing, were greatly in demand, and his success in locating the links, have hushed these fears, and the wherewithal to produce the finest golf links in this section of the United States was forthcoming.  That the links will be ready for use on September 1st, visitors may feel assured.
(The above quotations are inclusions by the author)

Above photo from a 1905 "Points" booklet

Above pages 21-22 from John Kearney 1907 -- "Eureka Springs - Resort of the Ozarks"

The above color photo annotates "Lake Lucerne Bridge of 1910" -- source unknown.


 
The above page was extracted from 1915 Heart of Ozarks brochure


     Beginning in 1919, R.R. Thompson (then, manager of the Crescent Hotel) operated the Lake Lucerne resort for boating, fishing, and swimming. Also promoted was the 9-hole golf course, horseback riding paths, tennis, and even an air-strip.
     Thompson later developed homes and lot sites for summer cottages (which became Lake Lucerne Resort).

The above page was extracted from 1925 Drink from Fountain of Youth brochure

The above page was extracted from 1925 Drink from Fountain of Youth brochure

The above page was extracted from 1925 Drink from Fountain of Youth brochure


Above 1925 SPA Route Guide



Above 1925 SPA Route Guide

Circa 1925 - 1930

The Golf Course was 9 holes of rugged landscapes

1926 from Commercial Club brochure

1926 -- Capital Resort of Ozarks brochure


Map extracted from Bank of ES Calendar -- year 2007

Map Legend extracted from 1928 Bathe to Your Health

Post Card unknown date


1930 Leaflet above

1930 Leaflet above

1935 Brouchure
1935 Brouchure

1943 map from See America First flyer


1945 Climbs a Mountain brochure

1950 Advertisement in Rayburn's Ozark Guide

1965 --  page extracted from Chamber of Commerce brochure


1965 --- Times-Echo
     Lake Lucerne was originally established as a recreation program supplement for the Crescent Hotel.  Beginning in 1919, R.R. Thompson operated the lake resort for boating, fishing, and swimming.  Also promoted was the 9-hole golf course, horseback riding paths, tennis, and even an air-strip.  
     Thompson later developed homes and lot sites for summer cottages.  He sold the property in April 1965 to resort developers Lewis Jim Johnson, Lance Alworth, and Carl S Rosenbaum all of Little Rock.


Below are recent photos of Lake Lucerne subdivision -- 2007
by Dan Ellis

Forgotten Bridge by Kenneth Bates (2009)

     In the late 1890's Dr. Charles E. Davis, along with some investors, decided to develop what was then Silver Lake into a resort to be called Sanitarium Lake.  Routes were laid out to provide as direct a route as possible for tourists and Eureka residents to visit Sanitarium Lake which it was to be known as until the 1920's when it became Lake Lucerne.  From all that I have been able to determine, the route began at Main and Water streets, and continued up Water Street to what is now Hwy 62E, and thence to Greenwood Hollow Road to what is now Lake Lucerne Road to the Lake.
     Bridges had to be built across several deep gully's so that tallyhos and buggies could easily reach the lake.  Two of those bridges are still in use today between Greenwood Hollow and the lake.  
     A third bridge which is thought to have been built to cross the gully at the end of Water Street, just below Hwy 62E, now lies in ruin.  It is unknown whether it was finished or abandoned for some reason.  It appears to have been constructed in the same fashion as the two bridges mentioned above -- but that is conjecture.  In any case, it is just another mystery surrounding this unique town we call Eureka Springs.

Lake Lucerne Bridge


Legal entities as of June 2009

Two Corporations listed below:
LAKE LUCERNE ESTATES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSN for LAKE LUCERNE ESTATES SUB-DIV.
LAKE LUCERNE VILLAGE LLC

Three area resident subdivisions with private ownership listed below:
Lake Lucerne Sub-Division -- 29 owners recorded
Lake Lucerne Estates -- 51 owners recorded
Lake Lucerne Cabins -- 12 owners recorded

More Eureka Springs History at:

http://EurekaSpringsHistory.Com

http://Hostelries.EurekaSpringsHistory.Com


Next  Page